Tuesday, September 20, 2005

I am officially the mom of a 2 year old

Well, I guess I have been since June. But, the terrible twos have officially begun. He's not a bad kid, he's great actually. It's just so hard to see my sweet, loving child turn into a tantrum throwing monster. He can cry for so long (he has a great memory) and I can't distract him anymore. Ignoring him doesn't work, he just gets louder (then he wants to sit in my lap and he calms down). I can't talk him "down" from the tantrum. His reasoning skills are good, but he's still only 2.

I can deal with the tantrums during the daylight hours, but the ones that start at 1:00 in the morning are a little more difficult to accept. One night last week, he cried for over an hour. Not crying really, just screaming. He would fade away, then he would get a second, third, fourth, etc. wind. All because I wouldn't let him watch Clifford at 1:00 in the morning. I gave in about 2:00. I know, I know, I just reinforced to him that if he cried long enough he will get what he wants. At 2:00 in the morning, when I have to go to work the next day, he just might always get what he wants. Hopefully, he will outgrow this phase before he can tell the difference between work days and non-work days. He's only 2, he will eventually want to sleep all night.

And then, when he gets older (and doesn't live at home) he can watch whatever he wants, whenever he wants. Even Clifford at 1:00 in the morning, though I think that will lose its appeal before that time actually comes.

3 comments:

mamatulip said...

Lisa, you've been holding out on us! Cool blog! ;)

Hey -- if Julia were screaming for Clifford at 2am, I would have let her watch it, too.

Lisa said...

I posted it in the blog thread, but not until the thread had already died. LOL!!

mamatulip said...

Sneeeeaky, Lisa.