I had this whole update typed out and it got eaten somewhere.
So, long story short - The Department of Family and Children Services here in GA sucks. Once a child turns 18, they are dropped off at a homeless shelter unless they have previously arranged for somewhere else to go. Does that seem fair? Does the state actually do anything during the time that the kids are in their custody to prepare them for life? Yeah, not so much. They make sure that they go to school, but they don't actually care whether or not they are able to graduate from high school. The most popular arrangement for DFCS kids seems to be the military. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against the military, but I hate to see kids think it is their only option other than a homeless shelter.
The reason I am on this "soapbox" is because we spent some time this weekend with a messed up 17 year old (when he was younger, his mom had allowed her boyfriends to use him as a play toy and punching bag). He is trying to get his life back on track (just spent a year in a wilderness program - a last chance for him) and now he only has a year to get his life together before he is abandoned. That just sucks.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment