Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Ugh . . .I thought we had escaped

So, when I get pregnant with Dylan my mother-in-law informs me about some seizures that Jason and his dad had when they were babies. They each had one around the age of 18 months and then proceded to have 2 or 3 more until they turned 4 or 5. So, I did some research and asked her if they were related to some high fever or something. Yes, they were, so we figured they were probably febrile seizures.

Fast forward - Dylan has had numerous high fevers, but never a seizure. When he turned 2, I thought we had escaped without him having to go through that. NOPE!!

Tonight, he came up to me and wanted me to hold him. So, when I picked him up I thought he felt hot. Took his temp and it was 102. Gave some Tylenol and he started to drink some juice. He dropped the juice and started to seize.

He had been seizing for about 1 minute when he started to turn a little blue so we called 911 and were put ON HOLD!!! Who gets put on hold when they call 911 - crazy, I tell ya. So, anyway, the seizure lasted about 2 and a half minutes. It ended right as the 911 operator picked up. Paramedics came and tried to get his temp down to no avail. So, Dylan and I took a ride in an ambulance.

It was about 30 minutes after the seizure ended before Dylan was able to talk to us. It was so scary, we both thought some pretty horrible thoughts.

An ambulance ride, heart monitor, blood draw, and 5 hours in the emergency room later, we still don't know what caused the fever that caused the seizure. So, it must be a virus. Nothing to do, but to wait it out.

THAT SUCKS!!

No comments: