Friday, March 27, 2009

SERIOUSLY

Okay, send me a note when my son doesn't finish his work, doesn't follow directions, whatever. Yes, this is important and I need to be aware of it.

But, is it really necessary to send a note home because he refuses to take a "no, thank you" bite of his corn at lunch? He doesn't like corn. He told you he doesn't like corn. You know that he has thrown up in the past when you force him to eat something he tells you he doesn't like. He tries many new things and sometimes likes them, so you know that this isn't him just refusing because it is something new. I understand that he gets to pick what he eats for lunch, but I look at the menu some days and just know that there is only one thing out of the whole menu that is a guarantee that he will definitely eat it. I wonder how much trouble he gets into and how horrible you make him feel when he just can't/won't try a bite of everything on his plate.

I am having enough trouble keeping his self-esteem high because somehow you make him feel inadequate and stupid during classwork because takes his time and then still has to do it again to your satisfaction. I should not have to worry that he is also being made to feel inadequate at lunch.

I mean, really, I don't care that he wouldn't take a bite of his corn and it concerns me that you think this ranks the same as him not doing his work.

COME ON!

(No, this is not what I actually emailed to the teacher, but I wanted to.)

3 comments:

mccoy5 said...

why not??? oh - yes, maybe these were pretty big words for her! You know, I would have to say if a kid won't eat corn then they really just don't like it. There can not possible too many people in the world that do not like corn. And give me a break - the kid eating a bite of something or not is for parents - not teachers. Teachers teach school stuff, and make sure they eat SOMETHING - not "try" a bite crap!

Lisa said...

The government is the parent and the teachers are the hands of the parent. I love public schools, but I do not like that the government believes they have a better idea of how to raise my child than I do. And, I hate that it believes it has a right, and an "obligation", to do so.

geenalyn said...

reading this post makes me thankful that our school does not provide lunch, there is no cafeteria in the building. I pack Daynah's lunch everyday (and the other kids' snack). With Daynah she gets 2 20 min breaks to eat in, if she eats great, if she doesn't well its her issue lol